Monday 27 May 2013

Flaming Star ~ Gombak Hillbillies video

This was the first recording that me and my brother made and uploaded on YouTube back in early 2008. The video quality is really bad, but the sound's all right. I was really happy with bro's guitar work on this one. After our Made in Japan video, it is the video with the highest view count. And strangely, quite popular with viewers in Germany. Maybe that's because there are many Elvis movie fans there. 


The song is from an Elvis movie of the same name. I've never got the chance to watch the movie, but I'm guessing that it is one of his better ones. I really like the song. I have a thing for songs about death, or dying. The song's lyric and melody come together in a peaceful, melancholic way to me. I was hoping to capture that feeling in our recording. I think my brother managed that with his brilliant fills and solo. That boy was inspired that day! 

What genre is this? Let's call it Western. You can imagine Frankie Laine, or Gene Pitney recording this song. But as far as I know, that is, as far as my search on YouTube goes, no other artist/star has covered this song.

Elvis's singing on this one is, well, pure Elvis. It was recorded when he was on top of his game in the early 60s. If you're an Elvis fan, then you'll know what I mean when I say that I love the part when Elvis goes ... "oh over his shoulder" at 0:12 (video below). It does not get more Elvis than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment